--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Sunday, July 27, 2008

Aza & His City


Aza & His City ©Nina Buesing

My friend Aza is one of a kind. He was born and raised in the city and grew up in a downtown loft with artist parents. A true child of Bohemia.
Aza followed in the footsteps of his father and studied film. And with every movie Aza makes he gets better. Do check out his latest feature "Momma's Man". A sneak preview of his latest feature Momma's Man will be shown at BAM during the The Films of Azazel Jacobs series. And the film will open wide on August 22, 2008.

The first time I came to New York was in 1981. I was not even 10. Subsequently as a teenager I would come to New York for this or that reason. And in 1989 I arrived permanently in New York and finished high school in Manhattan. And that's when I met Aza.
I arrived at the beginning of an end. I saw and see the city change. I remember the way it was before today.
Adrian Lyne was truly great at capturing the atmosphere of downtown before the economic turn. His films are very mainstream, yet you can see his love for the architecture of Soho & the Meat Packing district, the love for the Bohemian loft and the different neighborhoods of the city in his films.
However Aza takes it a step further. In Momma's Man he invites you into his parents actual loft. He cast his parents in the movie.
Like Marion Zimmer Bradley's Isle of Avalon, the Isle of Bohemian Manhattan has retreated, but Aza's movie let's you visit one more time. The movie indeed is a beautiful love letter not only to his parents but also to his city.

No comments: