--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Friday, July 11, 2008

Ed Kashi: Nigeria

Work from Ed Kashi's Nigeria project is being shown at the George Eastman House in Rochester, NY through September 1, 2008.
The show is titled "Curse of the Black Gold - 50 Years of Oil in the Niger Delta".
My dad used to spend a lot of time in Nigeria for work and my friend Emma is there for business right now -- so I have a heightened interest in Nigeria.
From his trips my dad used to bring back mangoes & wood carvings for me and live lobster for my mom (yes, times were different then).

Ed Kashi takes a look at Nigeria, a country that receives little attention in the US press and many here associate mostly with email scams. Nigeria is immensely rich in natural resources and has great biodiversity, yet it also deals with serious environmental & economical issues.
I first saw a picture in PDN from Ed Kashi's exhibit, showing a woman in a pinkish dress with a colorful umbrella stepping over overgrown pipelines and the image just completely captured my thoughts.
If you cannot make it to Rochester, visit Ed Kashi's website: www.edkashi.com to see his work from Nigeria and many other places.
National Geographic has an interview with Ed Kashi on their site and in it he talks about what it was like working in Nigeria (including being detained by military forces) -- and there is also a great slide show of the Nigeria photographs. Take a look here.

NOTE: via Marketing Photos with Mary Virginia Swanson I found that NPR also has some great coverage/presentation Ed Kashi's work in Nigeria; and more information about the situation in the Niger Delta.

No comments: