--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Sunday, January 4, 2009

Civility

Perhaps this is just a pet peeve, but I like 'please' and 'thank yous'. Whether it is at the grocery store, in an email, at the airport or if you ask me to pass the salt. Add the 'please' and 'thank yous' where you can, I say. It just makes life a little nicer. Same goes for adding a smile. If you don't already do this, try it next time you are at the grocery store, the post office, at a restaurant or wherever.
My parents always say "Bitte, soviel Zeit muss sein" which roughly translates to "please, you must make the time for it". Or if I forgot when I was really little and I asked for something not so politely, they would say "What's the magic word?". It's "Please".
Works like a charm.

No comments: