--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Wednesday, January 21, 2009

R.S.V.P. , Mr. President AKA Operation Milk

Sooooo...I am following suite to Joerg Colberg in saying that I am cautiously optimistic about the future.
However one thing that majorly bugs me is President Obama's stance on gay marriage. I just don't get it. I know that politics exist, that matters are complex and that President Obama is probably wary of appearing "radical". But honestly how is gay marriage even considered a radical issue? Seriously, I just don't get it. Mind your own beeswax and let gay people marry. Extend ALL the same rights to gay couples.

This spring I am attending the (same sex) nuptials of two wonderful friends in the progressive state of Massachusetts. I am excited to witness these two accomplished and loving people make their commitment to one another and celebrate with our friends & their families.
I am a sucker for weddings. It's all about love, baby.

Anyway. I am a big believer in letter writing. I am one of those. And I was thinking that these dear friends of mine and other gay people should consider extending invitations to the President to attend their same sex weddings.
President Obama portrays himself as a kind & loving man. Civil Rights are on the forefront of his agenda. He appears so smart and thus I cannot help but think he would be affected by receiving these invitations. Or even better: Come around and change his position, if he were to experience & bear witness at a gay marriage.

So with HOPE I say: Invite the President & his family to your nuptials!

You can send his invitation to:

President Obama & Family
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

or if you want to invite him electronically, you can do this via this page: www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

PS: Tema also has a very good post titled "Milk" relating to this issue on her blog. Find it at: www.palmaire.blogspot.com

No comments: