--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Women Rule & Storytelling (This one is for you Eileen)


Emily Shur at Work © Lydia Burkhalter

Head over to the Nymphoto blog for the posting in our newest series: Nymphoto Op-Eds. We are starting this feature with a post by none other than the talented & prolific Emily Shur (who also happens to be my buddy extraordinaire, let me add proudly).


From Domesticated © Amy Stein

I know I said this before, but I think this will be a great year for Nymphoto. We certainly started the year on the right foot: at 12:01 AM on January 1, 2009 we published a conversation with the amazing Amy Stein. If you haven't read it yet, you can find it at: www.nymphoto.blogspot.com. (And while you are at it, why not revisit the conversation I had with Emily in 2008, you can find that interview, here.)

Amy Stein is a great example how the artist is an artist no matter what. Amy is relatively new to the photographic medium, but once she set her course, she became unstoppable, much like Zoe Strauss. And I don't think Amy "became an artist", I think she always was!


from Ultraviolet Beauties
© Cara Phillips

Cara Phillips posted a great quote by Henry Holmes Smith on her blog Ground Glass that speaks about the importance (for the artist) of being a human being first. I think that is good advice. The rest will fall into place.


from Intervals
© Margot Quan Knight

Fellow "Nymphette" Margot Quan Knight just sent me a beautiful quote by Duane Michaels tonight that feels very apropos: "show me something I've never seen; tell the story only you can tell."
Get to it. Godspeed, I say. Tell your stories.

2 comments:

Emily Shur said...

Yay me! Thanks buddy :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.