--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Gifting & Giving


© Emily Shur

The winter months are here. I am not religious but having grown up in a Northern Country where sunlight is scarce during these months, I am fond of appropriated pagan rituals: good x-mas markets, mulled wine, lots of lights, decorations and even the gift-giving and receiving, -- it makes winter festive and cozy. Yeah, I am dreaming of a white x-mukah ;)
I think (big) gifts are totally unnecessary, however I am always thrilled if I get something homemade like jam or a knitted hat or a cool hand-me-down.
I like to give gifts made by me or the many talented artists & artisans out there. The web makes it easy to find unique stuff. Here is a quick guide to some my favorite online sources:

www.sandrajuto.bigcartel.com great prints , 'wrist worms' & more
www.camillaengman.com 2010 Calendars, the book & more
www.ohmycavalier.com great prints & original art works
www.linea-carta.com baby gifts, linens & more
www.ideapearle.com great prints & custom orders (even Gywneth Paltrow has discoverd Ida!)
www.manos.bircartel.com fabulous ceramics & more
www.collectdotgive.org find prints by my dear friend Emily Shur and the fabulous Susana Raab & others -- all profits go to charity. Both Emily & Susana chose causes close to their hearts.
www.featureshoot.myshopify.com find prints by my friend & Nymphoto cohort Rona Chang - 1o% profits go to Kiva.org

Or maybe simply give to a charity or micro-lender of your choosing!

Happy End-of-Year!

1 comment:

Camilla Engman said...

Thank you for including me Nina.
I hope you will have a great Christmas holiday!!