--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Monday, January 25, 2010

Manners


12th Edition of Emily Post' Etiquette

The other day I gave my friend a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette. Not because he needed it, but because I thought he might appreciate it. This friend is in fact very well mannered and I like that. Once a year on this blog I like to pontificate on the importance of etiquette and manners. Being polite makes the world a better place. All the little 'please' and 'thank you's and sweet smiles add up and make the world just a little better.
And as long as you are polite I can deal with you, even if I don't like you. Politeness (which includes the observation of boundaries) is the essence of civility and peace in my book. Of course everyone is rude sometimes (me culpa!) but the goal, me thinks, should be to be well mannered.

No comments: