--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Monday, February 1, 2010

Books

Books I have recently read or am reading:

A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré. Spy & Mystery Novels are something I turn to for 'beach reading'. But this one hardly allows for much escapism for this New Yorker. Set in (my hometown of) Hamburg after 9/11 this work is absorbing and sobering. The Independent's Tim Martin has a review, which you can find it at: http://www.independent.co.uk.

Changing My Mind - Occasional Essays by Zadie Smith. The Guardian's Peter Conrad reviewed this anthology, you can find at: www.guardian.co.uk.

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert. I finished it and really like it. I find her voice massively important for modern women. Whether you agree with her or not. The LA Times has a Q & A with Gilbert which you can find at: www.latimesblogs.latimes.com. The New York Times had Curtis Sittenfeld review Mrs. Glbert's latest and you can find that review at: www.nytimes.com.

The Hamilton Case by Michelle de Kretser. Incredible writing so far. You can find The New York Time's review by William Boyd titled A Killing in Ceylon at: www.nytimes.com.

Up next: Malcolm Gladwell's books. I want to see what all the hype is about. And for balance I might follow that up with Shankar Vedantam's Hidden Brain.

No comments: