--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Sunday, February 7, 2010

Guilty Pleasures: Cookies & La Grande Dame


La Veuve and her grandaughter by Léon Cogniet

My friend Mere got me reading the biography of Barb-Nicole Posardin Clicquot otherwise known as the Veuve or Widow Clicquot (by Tilar J. Mazzeo). It is a fascinating story.
Veuve Clicquot is my favorite Champagne. I know not all people agree and I am not a true connoisseur. But I like how Veuve tastes, I like the crisp bubbles, I like the packaging (and the history/legend behind it) and most importantly - relatively speaking- Veuve does not break the bank (at least not if you purchase it at Astor Wines).

My other (guilty) pleasure comes courtesy of Insomnia Cookies. Brainchild of a couple of UPenn grads, Insomnia Cookies sell oven fresh warm cookies until 3 AM. See, I knew their was an advantage to living near NYU. My husband rightfully suggested that Insomnia Cookies add at least one wholesome/vegan cookie to the menu and I agree. But in the mean time the traditional chocolate chunk is really nice, especially hot out of the oven on a crisp New York winter night.
Visit www.insomniacookies.com for more info or to find a location near you.

No comments: