--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Reading (in Slience)



snowy and silent night© Nina Buesing Corvallo

Just some things I read this week, that Ithought were worth sharing:

Joyce Walder's portrait of muralist Matthew Willey titled In the east Village, a Muralist's Tiny Sanctuary published in The New York Times yesterday. Find it by clicking here.
And also published in The Times yesterday: Sarah Maslin Nir's report Embracing a Life of Soltitude (find it by clicking here). I could see the husband and I live like Nick Fahey, we already sometimes kinda do on our little island of Manhattan. I do not know if my desire for solitude stems from the constant over-stimulation in New York or if I simply have a hermit streak.
Could be -- I spent a lot of time alone as a child too. And it never bothered me.
And speaking of over-stimulation -- via Kottke.org I came across In Pursuit of Silence by George Prochnik, which is on my reading list now.
Noise is a major issue for Manhattan residents. I am thinking of buying a copy of this book not just for myself, but also sending one to the head of the SLA and Mayor Mike.

Oh and did I mention how much I love my Bose Noise cancelling headphones? Expensive but I have no regrets. They are great for the plane, but I wanted them for the gym. I have no idea why there has to be music blasting on the cardio floor when everyone brings their own audio gear or plugs into the equipment TVs. It's like people who have music on while they watch TV. I just don't get it.

At last I really enjoyed the Christopher Walken portrait by Peter Stevenson titled Home Again (find it by clicking here) in this week's New Yorker. Sounds like he is just like the rest of us New Yorkers--not at all adverse to some solitude and silence.
But most importantly I liked his recollection of his childhood in Queens and his delight in the sprouting of an Avocado pit.

No comments: