--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hamburger Rumkugel



My attempt & the real deal in Hamburg © Nina Buesing Corvallo

Yum! I think I finally mastered how to make authentic German Rumballs.
German Rumballs are made form leftover cake. The basic idea is to take left over cake, crumble it up in a bowl, add rum and jam (add crushed walnuts if to your liking). Stir and then form balls. Roll the balls in chocolate sprinkles and place in the fridge for a couple of hours. The trick is to be generous with the jam and rum. The dry cake is revived by the moisture of the rum and the jam will keep the balls together and allow for the chocolate sprinkles to stick.
The husband is somewhat camera shy, so I won't share a picture of him biting for the first time into a Hamburger Rumkugel, but let's just say his face spelt utter delight.
I have never found real rum balls this side of the pond, probably because the added rum prevents people from selling it at bakeries here.
Anyway, the Hamburger Rumkugeln are delicious. Dried-up cake, rum (in our case coconut rum from Belize), jam and chocolate sprinkles might sound like an odd combo, but it works.
And I like the idea of not wasting leftovers but recycling them and turning it into a treat.
Whenever I am home I notice how much less my parents waste. They are good about using public transport, the stems of broccoli don't go in the compost bin, but are turned into soup, they had compact fluorescent in place decades ago, and my mom air dries all laundry. The real beauty is that they are actually not frugal people. They do it because they think it is the right thing to do.
Europeans can be great that way. Even though it always surprises me that the concept of the doggy bag has not been accepted yet in Europe. That makes no sense! Doggy bags rock.

Also if you are craving awesome baked good and you are upstate or near-ish Montreal, try Green Point Foods!!

No comments: