--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Friday, July 2, 2010

Black Stars

While rooting for Ghana the other day I felt a bit disloyal, especially when looking at the faces of my American family & friends. The US soccer team has come a long way, but I was rooting for Ghana. They want to win more and their wins mean so much more to Ghana and Africa. I have some additional thoughts on this, but I have to get some zzz's in now.
But let me finish this post by saying that if you grew up with soccer, you instinctively understand how the world cup is not just a sporting event. I know I keep harping on this, but I think it is a fundamental concept for anyone who wants to really appreciate the game and the big hoopla of the world cup.
But don't just take it from me. Read William C. Rhoden's New York Times article Africa Rallies Around Ghana from June 25, 2010.

No comments: