--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Saturday, July 31, 2010

Technology Gives And Takes Away. Blessed Be The Sound Soother.


Jean-Luc we need your help! Resistance is NOT futile. Call 311!

The kid in me is certainly not dead. Today I bought a Sharper Image Sound Soother (note: I'd like more volume control. Gosh, I miss analog controls!) - and I heart it.
The city is loud. I don't mind the sirens or even the garbage trucks. But I mind the noise of (commercial) AC units. The recession lead to a lot of commercial vacancy and many neighborhoods are in flux because of it. Ours is one of those. A lot of new businesses are moving to our hood. Unexpectedly the biggest problem related to new businesses arriving has been their HVAC systems.
Most recently a large restaurant opened on my block. With it came the most outrageous AC system. It is a three story multi-unit behemoth. And were it not so unprofessionally executed (dangling orange extension cords!) I would have thought the nearby building had begun assimilation by the Borg.
That's how ominous & Bladerunner-like that AC system is.
The many residents affected by this horror are livid (the unit emits sound well above what is allowed by NYC noise code) and the owner of said restaurant seems to understand that the situation needs to be rectified. So that is good news. But it will be a while before that (and other noise issues) get resolved and I needed some immediate relief. My wonderful dentist Dr. B. suggested a sound machine. Brilliant idea!
I love it. It masks unwanted noise and transports me to the beach and tropical places.

Have a problem with constant noise in your NYC home? Call 311. The DEP can help.

No comments: