--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday This & That (Accents)

Via Kottke.org I came across footage of subway ride across the Brooklyn Bridge from 1899. Cool. See it, by clicking here.

Because I don't have television, I sometimes miss out on things as they happen. But the other side of that coin is that I can watch things int heir entirety at my own pace after they come out on DVD. The husband and I are working ourselves through The Wire currently. How come is seems that it is easier for English actors to do passable American accents than the other way around? Brit Dominik West in The Wire does a pretty good job. Before I knew he was English, I just assumed he was American.I noticed a slight hint of something in his cadence. But wrote it off to a regional accent. My husband thought it was traces of an overcome child hood speech impediment.
Maybe the answer is that since America is such a diverse immigrant nation that is also physically large, one could argue there is no such thing as a non-American accent. Ergo doing an American accent is easier. However most voice recognition systems don't seem to see things my way.

I don't sound exactly like a native English speaker. Some people hear it, others don't. It is more pronounced when I am tired.
Most people cannot tell by my accent where I am originally from. That is because most assume that an accent only indicates one location/culture/country. And I grew up in many places.
Sometimes when people ask, I toy with the idea of saying I am Amish or Canadian. I think I could get away with both.
If you click here, you can see Brit Dominik West do a fake English Accent as his American character James McNulty.

No comments: