--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Friday, January 7, 2011

On My Mind

Pakistan: I recommend reading Declan Walsh's January 6, 2011 article for the Guardian on Pakistan, find it at: www.guardian.co.uk

Haiti: It's has been about a year since the devastating earthquake. However the situation remains dire. My friend Wyatt is doing his part to keep reminding the world of the situation in Haiti.
If you are in New York you can see his images from Haiti at Umbrage Gallery 111 Front Street in DUMBO, Brooklyn and/or you can order a book of the photographs. If you buy the book (designed by Anya!) directly from Wyatt via www.tentlifehaiti.com, 100% of the proceeds will go to NGOs in Haiti.

US: We have some Italians in town. Unfortunately one of the girls fell ill and she had to go to the emergency room last night. Prudently she had purchased insurance for her stay here, in part because the girls had recently seen Sicko and were rightfully scared s**tliss by the cost of health care in the US. I have only received outstanding health care in this country, but I am fortunate: I have excellent health insurance. The cost of health insurance in New York is particularly high. New York is fantastic but also expensive.
We don't have any children. I cannot imagine how we would manage if we did. I understand that medical advances are in part driven by the current system. But I also firmly believe the system is in need of reform.
Someone that speaks very eloquently on health care today is Atul Gawande.
Mr. Gawande was a guest on The Brian Lehrer show yesterday, and you can listen to that segment at: www.wnyc.org.
I understand the fears of elderly people in regard to health care reform. I understand that a lot of misinformation makes many retirees worry about their future medical care. My generation worries about even getting to old age and about taking care of those future taxpayers some of my generation are raising. I have seen people with medicare receive treatment and I have seen people insured by HMOs receive treatment. If I had to choose right now between government issued Medicare or a private HMO insurance I would opt for Medicare. Just saying.

But I want to end this on a positive note. I think things can get better.

No comments: