--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cafe Lebowitz

Martin Scorsese's passion for New York and it's stories continues . On rotation this week: Public Speaking. I read somewhere that Wes Anderson was attached to this project first. Not surprising as Fran Lebowitz could be out of or might have inspired scripts written by Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach.
The glimpse at Fran Lebowitz Martin Scorsese presents is worth watching. It made my heart ache though. It seems to me that real conversation and speaking has become extinct. Either it is shouting or appeasing but nothing in between. Everyone is quickly vexed or deeply offended. Most recycle opnions. There is no edge and as Fran would say: It is boring.
Of course I do not agree with her on everything, of course you take it all with a grain of salt. Sure I am glad she is not my mother - but I certainly would love for her to be my aunt.

Speaking of Noah Baumbach: I thought Greenberg was a very good movie, yes it made me cringe and it certainly is not a feel good movie, but it is smart and most importantly: not boring.

No comments: