--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Thursday, March 3, 2011

Untitled


Dawn, Sápmi (Work in Progress) © Nina Buesing Corvallo



from Untitled (Death Valley) © Nina Buesing Corvallo

I have been working on a new section on my fine art site, called Untitled. Many of these are images from a trip I took last year.
The husband and I went to the Arctic Circle (near where Sandra is from) the winter before and it was very cold. I loved it. My husband was glad he went, but didn't enjoy the cold. And he said that in turn he would take me to one of the hottest places on Earth.

So last year during the height of summer, we travelled to Death Valley.
It was freaking hot. I take the cold any day over that kind of heat. I was carrying about 20 pounds of camera gear with me in 121 degrees Fahrenheit in the Badwater Basin and came close to fainting. I was so hot. My husband, who has a more Mediterranean constitution, was barely bothered. I however felt like I was standing in front of a giant hair dryer. Still I am glad we went. I live in a urban environment and I like to travel to non-urban places.
Death Valley certainly was that, but while the nature was other worldly, what intrigued me most was the tiny settlement - surrounding the two motels and one resort- in the middle of desert.

No comments: