--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Monday, June 20, 2011

Best Friend


Opa & His Puppy © Buesing

I never knew my grandfather, but I came across the above picture of him, which I love. Boxers are one of my favorite dogs and how stylish is the very Hamburg nautical outfit my grandfather is sporting in this portrait?

I love animals and prefer them to many people -- also photographically. It is fascinating to see animals, particular companion animals in vintage photographs.
James Danziger recently had a post about pit bulls and I much enjoyed the photographic illustrations he provided. Find his post at: www.pictureyear.blogspot.com.

I don't think we have much information about the dog in the picture which is a shame. Who knows maybe it wasn't even my grandfather's. I remember Richard Avedon recalling how his family would borrow other people's dogs for family pictures :)

No comments: