--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Darkroom


lots of snow and awesome dogs- the arctic circle- also meditative and communal at once ©Nina Buesing Corvallo

While finally doing a massive cleaning of my office I came across some small 4x6 B&W RC machine prints from my trip to the Arctic Circle. They were stuck together. So I took them to the sink and soaked them in lukewarm water and they came apart and now are drying.
Washing the prints triggered an intense longing for the darkroom. I haven't been in one in ages and it has been even longer since I printed B& W Fiber prints.
I didn't realize how much I miss that environment.
My favorite dark room set up was that of my undergrad studies. The Photo Department was on 2/3 of the 8th Floor of NYU's Tisch building and small. Equipped at the time with two studios, a "state of the art"digital room, a couple of classrooms, an equipment cage, two communal darkrooms (one for B&W, one for color printing) and a couple of private darkrooms for special projects. Printing, there, could be an act of solitude and meditation and/or also very communal.
I miss it.

No comments: