--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Beautiful Bathsheba



The wild East Coast of Barbados, our bedroom at Sea-U Guest House and the coast below. ©Nina Buesing Corvallo

When I travel, I do not like to stay in big hotels or resorts. I also prefer to have a kitchen available, because traveling while vegetarian can be a challenge.
Life has turned out such that my parents and I unfortunately live far away from another. My parents are very supportive and they never ask for anything and sometimes I feel they get the short end of the stick. So last year with their 50th wedding anniversary looming, I wanted to give them a great gift.
My love for travel stems from my parents enthusiasm for discovery, so I figured taking them somewhere would be the perfect gift.
I did not want it to be too far away and I wanted it to be some place warm with good vibes and a hospital (my parents are in their seventies), that wouldn't break the bank. I decided on Barbados after reading about a lovely old fashion Caribbean guest house on Barbados' East Coast.
Sea-U Guest House in Bathsheba was as quaint and as authentic as I hoped for. The East Coast of Barbados is a different world from the white beaches and over-developed South-West of Barbados. The East Coast is still wild and it's rougher sea has made it a favorite for surfers.
Sea-U Guest house sits high over a cliff, and always has a breeze and the soundtrack of the Caribbean Sea. The house itself is a typical Caribbean wooden house with shutters and porches.
I rented the entire floor of the main house, which comes with two bedrooms, two bathrooms (one with Jacuzzi), a living room, a small sitting room and a full kitchen - flanked by a wonderful large covered porch with another dining table - and lots of quiet and privacy.
The decor is romantic and our bed and linens were divine.
Sea-U has it's own restaurant that will accommodate vegetarians and other special requests and it also has a delightful self-service bar.
The grounds are intimate and well kept with majestic views of the ocean and many great walks near by.
Barbados was great.It was really relaxing and I will definitely go back. If you go, rent a car, and go explore. It's well worth it.


The grounds at Sea-U. ©Nina Buesing Corvallo

No comments: