--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy New Year! (New York Chinese New Year)


Happy Year of The (Water) Dragon! Three Corvallos in Chinatown for New Years. ©Nina Buesing Corvallo

Last night just before midnight we trekked down to the Buddhist Temple on Center Street to welcome the Year of the Dragon. I've come to the conclusion that Western New Year is not my thing. In Germany I always dreaded it because it involves an enormous amount of alcohol and firecrackers. Serious ones. The kind that is illegal here in the US and that cause a lot of emergency room visits. Not my thing. In New York City New Year's is one of the worst days for the police department, and we usually just hole up in our home or maybe have dinner with family or friends - avoiding the alcoholic rampage in our neighborhood. Ultimately it is fine. It's one night, but it is not how I want to start my New Year. Ever since I lived in Chinatown I make a point of stopping by the Buddhist Temple for Chinese New Year. It's beautiful how the New Year is greeted there and so kind that we are always welcomed. So that is the New Year that I look forward to.
This is a special year: The Year of the Dragon! I wish you all a healthy, prosperous, happy, lucky and full of love Year of The Dragon. Make it count.
PS: yes, I know Firecrackers originate from China. And no, I have not experienced Chinese New Year in China. I am strictly speaking about my experience in New York. If you are in New York, try to make it to Chinatown and have some delicious Vegge food, watch the Dragon bless the local businesses or watch the Fireworks at Chatham Square.

No comments: