--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Monday, October 15, 2012

Baby Love: Breastfeeding

I am saying nothing new, when I say that while new mothers are urged to breastfeed, often they do not have the support (not at home, nor at work nor from society at large - and sometimes not even the infant is cooperating) it takes to do so. Most mothers-to-be fret about labor & delivery, but breastfeeding can turn out to be a much longer lasting challenge.
Feeding your child should be the easiest thing in the world, but it no longer is. And everyone has something to say about it (even Mayor Mike). Mothers can feel a lot of judgement for their choices, especially if they choose to formula feed.
However mothers choosing to breastfeed are not exempt from judgement either (note there are 2 links to two separate Applebee incidents in two different states).
When I stumbled across the latest LUVS commercial, I was surprised and pleased. I hope the commercial is an indicator that attitudes are shifting. Oh, and trust me, you can be a confident breastfeeding mother first time out. Of course I did have support: my husband and my doula were totally behind me. Thank you.


courtesy luvsdiapers

If you want to read more about how the commercial was received and a good opinion about it, read Ana Veciana-Suarez's Chicago Tribune op-ed piece Here we go again: Wholesome commercial stirs breastfeeding brouhaha.

No comments: