--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Amelia

Mother's Day was Sunday and the first anniversary of my becoming a mother is near, thus mothers and women are on my brain. When I was a little girl I was a tomboy. I had no interest in playing house or mommy and for a very long time I thought I would never have children,or at least not biological ones. Now I do and it has been the most extraordinary journey for me. The banal miracle of reproduction!
I am also now in the fifth decade of my life which is hard for me to believe.The last two to three years have brought fundamental changes ot my life. My father-in-law passed suddenly, my son was born and I turned 40. And now I am different. In many ways better and others I am not.
Disease and death looms closer now. Not just my husband, but many friends have lost a parent recently. Other people (young and old) have become sick. Many of my friends now have multiple children.
None of us know what is in store.
I was surprised to read Angelina Jolie Op-Ed piece in the New York Times today about her preventative double mastectomy.
Pleasantly surprised. Think what you will of Angelina Jolie, but that was very good of her to share. Cancer affects so many of us and in very different ways.
For some it can be a bump in the road, for others it is devastating. And while of course the person affected has the most to loose, cancer makes families and friends suffer as well. I think it is important to hear all stories.
Deeply connected to the topic of cancer is of course the debate over health care reform. Having been raised in Europe I am horrified about the current health care situation in the US. I am privileged enough to have had always access to outstanding care. And outstanding care is actually easy to find in the US - if you have good health insurance or are wealthy. But many people do not have access to preventative or quality care.
People are resourceful out of necessity.
Friends of 28 year old Amelia Coffaro have organized a fundraiser to help Amelia cope with the costs of her fighting Stage 3 inflammatory Breast Cancer.
While not a real solution, these sort of efforts can at least help select individuals. If you can please donate to this fundraiser at: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/q2x1/projectamelia
I do not know Amelia personally. I came across her story via a photography acquaintance.
But as I keep saying, the kindness of strangers fills me with hope. So I gave a $50 - it's not a lot but if many of us give that amount or even less it will help. Please consider contributing.

No comments: