--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Another Planet

Meeting New People © Nina Buesing Corvallo
Ever since the arrival of our son, my perception of time has forever shifted. For one it seems that I have less time. But that's ok. However I do wish I had more time to write. Not only has my perception of time been altered but that of my world in general -- or maybe I am just visiting another planet.
For the past 20 or so years I have lived in New York. The city is always changing and rarely boring, but with a kid, the city is so different,. Unexpectedly it is a friendlier place.
Every pregnant woman I see makes me smile. Everyone smiles at my son and I. My cranky neighbor is now soft and inviting. Strangers chat and share with me all the time. A woman on the subway will tell me in three stops about her three births and how many stitches she received after each deliver. The cashier at the market will tell me about her daughter and her recent miscarriage. Neighbors, people I know from community board meetings and friends of friends I never met, pass down clothing and toys. People always offer me a seat on the subway if I am with my son. I joined a whole new community. Or maybe I rejoined it, because I remember it from when I was a child. The kindness of strangers always touches me. It gives me hope.

No comments: