--a blog about: art, photography, design, new york, food, books, humor, travel and more.


Sunday, July 14, 2013

Deep Sadness

Yesterday's verdict prompted much emotion in me. As a mother, as human being, I just don't understand any of it. I don't understand why George Zimmerman exited his car nor why he would have followed Trayvon Martin. Especially since the police was responsive and told him not to follow Martin. I don't understand the law (in Florida) that does not require retreat when possible. In a country currently so riddled with fear & insecurity "the stand your ground" law is entirely irresponsible and in my mind gives permission for people to give into their phobias & delusions and act in an irrational manner. It's all incredibly complex, but the answers are simple: we need less guns, more education and better laws.
I walked today with my child and husband (and my doula!) in the Treyvon Martin Rally. Because something has to change.
No one is winning. I feel deep sadness for America.

1 comment:

gazeta said...

this is a complex issue